Saturday, October 10, 2009

Good Hair Movie/Documentary

Last night I went to see the documentary/movie "Good Hair". I cannot say I was surprised about what I saw and heard. Overall, the movie was ok and I do recommend people go see it. When I got to the theater it was astonishing to see so many black people in the concession area at one time. Looks like a lot of people will turn out to support this movie. The premise of the movie was yes about "Good Hair" but a lot of the movie was surrounded around the Bronner Bros. hair show in Atlanta. I've never been, but outside of the typical hair show stuff not really worth mentioning to me.
In the film, there was some great points -number 1, was about the ownership of business. As I've touched on before, the majority of hair care distributors are Asian. Along the same line, black women/men are the only one who are in demand of perm and weave hair, so we are making other cultures rich while going broke trying to get the European look. Number 2, Chris Rock showed where the actual weave hair comes from, India. Indian woman go to the temple and as a ceremony they shave off there hair for the Gods. They have no idea that their hair is a huge business for the temple (who by the way sells it to the highest bidder) and other woman actually wear their hair. Its normal that each woman will shave her head twice in her lifetime. Number 3, men find there is a disconnect intimately with black woman because they cannot touch there hair. Wow on #3, when I was an avid weave wearer I never ever thought about this, but what an eye opener because with any other race that black men date this isn't even an issue!!!! Number #4, he also showed how strong the chemical in perm is-it can burn through the skin and meat of chicken! Amazing, we put this in our head perpetually!
There were two disturbing parts for me. One being that some of the actresses being interviewed (Lauren London) in particular said you should be comfortable in your own skin. Yeah but how can you sit and say in almost the same sentence say don't mess with my weave.
With that all said, I did enjoy the movie there were some entertaining parts and I think the best statement was from Paul Mooney "when your relaxed, white people are relaxed and when you're nappy there not happy"!!!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

3 comments:

E. RaMona (Alaiyo) said...

Wow, I plan on seeing this movie this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Bajan Lily said...

You said there were TWO disturbing parts.. buy you only mention Lauren London - what was the other part? (Or was that the chicken burn?)

Gigglz said...

@Bajan Lily - you got the second disturbing part was the chicken.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails