Monday, November 2, 2009

Newly Sisterlocked Interview #2

Ladies - I was closely involved with helping this sister find a consultant and she has definitely gone through it.  Please show some support.  



Gigglz: How long did you want sisterlocks before actually getting them installed?

I have contemplated sisterlocks for about a year, but waivered back and
forth. It was in March or April of 2009 that I knew that this summer that
would be it!!! Unfortunately it didn't exactly happen like that. I wasn't
locked until October.

Gigglz: How long were you natural before getting sisterlocks?

I did "the big chop" in 2006 and watched the fro gro from that point! I
experimented with different styles, but the 2 strand twist out was my fav.
Unfortunately, my hair began to break because of the harsh dryness and
virtually ripping out knots after washing.


Gigglz:  How many consultations did you have before deciding on one, and did price play a part in your decision (honestly)?

Wow my consultant journey was almost as pricy as getting locs! Lol, but I
saw 5 and 1/2 consultants, the half was one that I spoke with and e-mail
several times, but she would never commit to a consult??? Price was a huge
factor in making my decision. Times are hard right now and I have 4 kids, so
1200 dollars (which was one quote) was not an option for me.


Gigglz:  What made you choose your consultant?

I chose my consultant for several reasons. She is a licensed hair stylist
who works in a natural hair salon and she had beautiful pics of some of the
styles she had done, she had a great personality she was very informative,
and last but not least the price was right.



Gigglz:  How many hours did it take?
Hours???? 3 days!!!!! We started 6am on a Sunday and worked till about
1am; of course we stopped for breaks. Next day from about 8-12ish, and the
last day was from about 8 until almost 2am!









Gigglz:  What was your initial reaction to them?  
My first reaction was ooooooh s**t!!! what did I do??? I had a bunch of
micro braid sticking straight up. I panicked. They were also super small.
But my consultant told me that they will swell over time ( my fingers are
still crossed) and that styling will help with the look, so she braided them
down and I left them in for 5 days because I was terrified to see them. But,
when I did I felt better. They were still too small for me but the braid out
gave them more shape. As for now I think I've come to the realization that
it may be the varying lengths of my hair that created the unshaped
appearance. My hair is short in the front and back from breaking off and
long in the middle, so I had kind of a micro braid mullet look. However, I
do still feel that they are too small, but I plan to correct that by
marrying them. It's not just a process getting sisterlocs, it's also a
process getting acclimated to them, a process that I am still going through.
I JUST stopped wearing headbands this past week and I found I got more
compliments. I guess the flaws are more noticeable to me!!!


Gigglz:  Do you see any disadvantages to sisterlocks?

Disadvantages, I think there are always some degree of disadvantages to
anything we do, but for me the benefits by far outweigh the disadvantages.
It's also still early for me I'm one week away from my 1 month
anniversary!!! But I can tell you that I am not looking forward to the
retightening. My backside is still traumatized from the instillation!

Gigglz:  How do you feel about your SL's today?

Today, right now my locs and I are friends. We started out enemies, became
acquaintances, and now we are friends. I'm hoping that as we become more
familiar with each other we can move up to BFF's and then get married. Being
that I am an impatient person I do hope it's not a long courtship!!! : ) and
I want to add that our relationship isn't progressing because we are stuck
together, I have no qualms about chopping them off. It's just that I can see
the possibility in them; I can see what they are going to become in time,
and when I think of that I get excited and remember the feeling I would get
as I looked up thousands of pics online.





 

2 comments:

Felicia said...

Welcome to the sisterhood!!! I know from her blogs that you have a wonderful person(gigglz) to help you through this journey. Everyone's locks and hair are different, so don't compare. Just "do you!"

Gigglz said...

Awh thanks Felicia :-). But thats right just do you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails