Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I Colored It...

On Sunday, I threw caution to the wind and colored my hair. Kittylocks gave me the courage to say the heck with it. I did some research on dyes I've heard about from loose naturals that have worked called Naturtint and Herbatint, so I went to Whole Foods because they sell both of them. Coincidentally, there was a traditional dread who was assisting people in the beauty/health dept and so I asked for her assistance. Granted her locks were far from appealing to me, but she was my only resource. In any event I purchased Naturtint for $18-this might seem expensive but since I spend no other money on my hair besides my product addiction I bought it, a matter of fact I bought two.

The two I bought were dark brown (not black because the associate said the jet black is more unnatural looking like shoe polish) and also mahogany chestnut to get a dark red tint in the light.  So I went ahead and used my "Handy Manny" lock and did a strand test on it.  I mixed about 60% mahogany chestnut and 40% dark brown and let it sit for 20 minutes.  I didn't see a difference, so I just threw the color on and sat for 20 minutes.  I jumped in the shower and washed it out with VO5, SL shampoo, and the conditioner provided in the box...hmm....

I had to wash my hair numerous times, like 5 to see the water run clear and then I washed again just to be sure.  Although the water ran clear, when I put the towel on my head (I used a white one) I still saw a very, very light tint of red.  So I washed again, with all these washing and no B&B I got a little nervous.  My hair felt hard (really hard) you know the feeling you got when you had a perm and used the neutralizing shampoo, yeah that feeling.  So I used the SL moisture treatment that I got when I went to the retightening class and let that sit for about 5 minutes.  Oh boy, did that have my hair feeling nice and soft.  Ugh, not good!!!

With all that, you know what hair my color turned out..BLACK!!!!!  Now I know that natural hair doesn't take color as well, but brown and mahogany = black!  Well thats what I get trying to get all experimental when I only color my hair black.

So now the ramifications of coloring---I do have some bunching but it only seems to be in the back bottom of my head at my line of demarcation ... 100% natural hair and the processed hair (with a silkener from Miss Jessie's...like a texturizer).  In addition, the ends seem a bit looser, but I like it.  Yesterday my hair felt a little too soft so I B&B and washed with the SL shampoo.  I let it air dry and my hair was literally all over my head this morning.  The one thing is that my hair feels much thicker as well..it may be because I now desperately need to retighten or the color and shampooing have swelled my locks...

A better picture later to come, to see uhm yeah more black!!!


8 comments:

Genevieve said...

YOU DID WHAT? Lol! Girl you know I am dying to color my hair black. Thinking your mix is the way to go. But not for a long long long time....sigh. I like it. I like it.

Gigglz said...

Yeah I couldn't take it anymore..and it was tugging on me!! LOL!!! Although, can you really even see a difference.

Only a few more months and dye away, right. Another blogger said she did @ 3 months, its about knowing your hair texture.

Bajan Lily said...

Handy Manny to the rescue! This post made me chuckle (again) - brown & mahogany = black... who knew?

Kay exquisite said...

Now I know I really have to wait until november maybe even December before I try my Henna if your hair bunched from regular color I'll probably end up with a fro from Henna, byebye SL.

Yeah note to self wait as long as possible.

Hey But guess what My entire back is sealing YAY!!!

Kay exquisite said...

Hey how come ur blog wont show up in my bloglist? Its in my bloggreel but not on my list?

Gigglz said...

@Bajan Lily - yes, who knew. All my friends said dye it black, had to prove them wrong!! NOT!

@Kay Exquisite --- the only problem with henna from what I hear is that it is really difficult to wash out. Your hair probably won't bunch up if you use that...congrats on sealing!! I'm taken a few steps back, but hey it will seal eventually!!

Its nto showing up probably because its not checked off as being shown on your blog list. Go into the settings of your bloglist and make sure its there, otherwise you can add it there as well.

@kay Exquisite -

Kittylocks said...

O dear Gigglz it looks like you will have to wait a bit longer. But your hair looks great quality event though the colour may not have been what you wanted. Kittylocks.

Gigglz said...

@Kittylocks - I won't be coloring again anytime soon. This deep red/black should last for a year which by then my hair should be sealed and half way locked, I would only hope so.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails