Saturday, January 30, 2010

Newly Sisterlocked Interview #5

Gigglz: How long did you want sisterlocks before actually getting them installed? ~ I had never known of Sisterlocks before I went natural in July of 2009...One of my tenants (I'm a property manager) has sisterlocks and invited me to go to the website. I was smitten on day one and quickly decided that this is what I wanted. From awareness to installation it was about 6 weeks.

Gigglz:  How long were you natural before getting sisterlocks?
~ I began growing out my relaxed hair in May of 2009 and decided on July 21st, 2009 that I could no longer deal with the two textures. I did the Big Chop on July 19th 2009.

Gigglz:  How many consultations did you have before deciding on one, and did price play a part in your decision (honestly)?
~ I had gotten a bit frustrated with the whole process....I contacted at least 10 consultants from the website and I have YET to hear from 8 of them. I was getting a bit pissed, like, are these really business people who don't answer back? One consultant was really helpful and very friendly,spending a lot of time talking to me, but she wasn't accepting new clients. I then saw an ad for a trainee who was offering introductory specials and I contacted her. She was very prompt and professional, extremely accommodating and knowledgeable. Another consultant ended up contacting me before my scheduled install and I had an informal consultation with her, but decided that she wasn't the one for me. She boasted about her clients hair, but her own Sisterlocks were very unkempt and unruly. Price didn't play a factor, I set aside a certain amount from all the information I read before.

Gigglz:  What made you choose your consultant?
~ My consultant had a love for Sisterlocks. Having them herself, I knew she understood the process, and as a recent trainee, I also knew that she would be very meticulous and accurate with the grid, which is the most important thing. She answered all of my questions and I got a good vibe from her. Its not just about compentency when you choose a consultant...you'll spend a great deal of time with this person for your install....12+ hours are really long when its someone you can't talk to or vibe with!

Gigglz:  How many hours did it take?
25.5 hours over 5 days. (December 4th - 9th, 2009) (Size: Small, small/medium. About 500+ locks)

Gigglz:  What was your initial reaction to them?
~ I loved them. They were better than I thought...I imagined little twigs on my head since I started with about 3 inches of natural hair. It doesn't look as short as I thought and it is nicely curling on the ends.

Gigglz:  Do you see any disadvantages to sisterlocks?
~ The washing process is really time consuming (for a stress free hairstyle). I understand the logic behind it, but omg!

The only disadvantage I see now is the initial stage and the corporate world. Before your hair actually locks, there's the fuzziness and such and corporate America can sometimes be a bit uneasy.

Gigglz:  What products do you use and how often do you use them?
~I'm a newbie. I use water to bring life back into my hair every three days or so and I've been using ACV in my scalp with a q-tip for dandruff. I've washed with the Sisterlock shampoo and Suave Clarifying shampoo.

Gigglz:  What hair accessories do you wear?
~None...my hair doesn't have the length yet. I haven't even bought any curlers. I put the occasional bobby pin in the front to section it off.

Gigglz:  What do you wear to protect your hair at night?
~ Satin bonnet and a satin pillowcase (some nights I'm so tired I forget to put the bonnet on).

Gigglz:  How do you feel about your SL's today?
~ Today, I like them. Running late for work this morning, I was in love with the fact that I just had to fluff and go! I'll like them even more when I get a retightning!

Picture 1  Afro - before 
Picture 2  Red Sweatshirt - Day one
Picture 3  Purple top - Today 

Follow her journey here.







2 comments:

Beautifully Made! said...

Thanks for allowing me to interview! Your blog was a main resource for me before I was SL'd and it continues to be so!

Gigglz said...

Thank you for sharing your story! And I hope I can continue to provide the encouragement that is needed is this journey from time to time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails