Friday, August 28, 2009

Sisterlock vs. Nappylock

Apparently, this debate is years old, dating back to 2005. Until Wednesday, I was also unaware that a case actually went to court for trademark infringement. I was open with the trainer and told her that I had used the NL tool so she asked how it was, but then she stopped herself and said she didn't even want to know because of everything that happened. So I did some research and found the court papers which is lengthy, take your time and read through. In the end NL won, but I now feel as though I slighted myself by purchasing the NL tool because I have SL's no doubt about it. In addition, the NL website goes on about how much cheaper it is then the SL classes/tools for the same results. However, I'm not 100% certain that over time the results would be the same. Only time will tell and the only way to be sure of this is to compare someones hair who has been using the SL tool vs someone using the NL tool. So for me I will never know, but I know I will be using the SL tool going forward.

7 comments:

Felicia said...

This is a very interesting debate, especially for us newbies. However, I plan on going to the SL retightening classes when they come to Dallas in November. You already know that Queen Nat uses the NL tool. You can also check out Creyole's Blog where she conducted a debate SL vs. NL tool. I don't know if it makes that much of a difference either. I was aware of the court case before I got sisterlocks, but the lady that I saw, whose hair I absolutely loved had sisterlocks, so that's what I went for.

Gigglz said...

@Felicia - I actually did not know about this debate when researching my sisterlocks. I know Queen Nat and Kalia Dewdrop also use the NL tool along with the latch hook and there locks look good. But since I do know of it now, and even more so having used both tools, the SL tool is my tool of choice. Much easier to manipulate and move quicker.

Bajan Lily said...

Felicia - what is the address for Creyole's blog?
Gigglz - I too knew about the court case before I had my SLs installed but I wasn't too sure of what the history was ie before it went to court, however I can see why some would choose not to use the NL tool as a result. In the UK we can't really get the NL tool cheap (prohibitive p&p) so it's a yarn needle or the SL tool!
Thanks for posting this though! I love this blog :)

Gigglz said...

I guess I'm the only one in the dark about this case :-)!

So in UK you can't receive the NL tool for what reason? What is (p&p)? So whats going to be your tool of choice?

Felicia said...

@Bajan Lily via Gigglz: The blog address is creyole.blogspot.com. Her locks are beautiful as you will see.

A Sista Who Locked said...

The only difference I can tell between the two is that the NL tool does not hurt my head the way the SL tool did. That is what is used on my head although I was offered a choice. Time will surely tell the difference if any.

Gigglz said...

@Sista who locked - really so you use the NL tool. Check your blog, I have more comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails