Friday, September 25, 2009

VO5 Shampoo...could it be the solution to the white balls???

In deep discussion with A Sista Who Locked, she recommended that I use VO5 to get rid of the white balls showing in my locks, I am truly fed up with them so I figured its worth a try, so I ran to the grocery store on lunch yesterday to buy a bottle and I could not believe my eyes for two reasons. 

First reason the price was .77, yes you read correct thats .77 cents!!!
Second reason, I flipped it over to read the ingredients and what was staring me in my face as the 3rd ingredient.  You guessed it SLS, and the second was Sodium Laureth Sulfate. 


For the price why should I expect that it wouldn't be one of the ingredients.  So I purchased the bottle which specifically notes that it is clarifying and this is how I defend purchasing it (defend it like I'm on trial, lol).  SLS is known to remove buildup and dry out your locks/hair.  Well right now, I obviously have some type of buildup that needs to be removed and if I'm not using it as my main shampoo then I should be ok.  Basically the past six months my hair has not had a good cleansing so why not try it?!?!? RIGHT!! LOL!

Well I tried the shampoo today and although I loved the way it felt like I got a good cleansing I wasn't too pleased with how my ends came out, see for yourself and I did bundle.


Right now the lock loops are in and I'm waiting to see the final outcome.  But, can you imagine if my locks actually still feel soft and the residue is removed?  All these years I’ve been spending so much money on hair products---why!!  I guess, because my hair was in an unnatural state and the products needed to have all these extra additives in order for my hair to stay half way healthy!! Absolute insanity when you think about it!

Update to come...

8 comments:

A Sista Who Locked said...

Man, you got me nervous over here! I really hope it helps. It's so hard finding the one product that will actually do EVERYTHING and contain only the RIGHT ingredients. I know how you feel about the SLS, but desperate times (and reading elder SLer entries who used V05) made me a little more comfy with the purchase.

Anxiously awaiting your update!

Gigglz said...

Don't be nervous...lol! I know the right product is water alone, hehe! VO5 and Suave are the ones I hear the mature SLer's talk about and I guess prolonged use would cause an issue which I don't plan on doing. I will keep you updated.

Mile High Sisterlocks said...

Whew! I'm a little nervous too. I've only been locked for about 5 weeks and I still haven't even styled my locs yet. I love your hair so much I just don't want anything/product to impeded your progress. Hoping for good results for you... update soon okay.

A Sista Who Locked said...

GIGGLZ! Where are you??? LOL

Gigglz said...

@Mile High - I was in the same boat, I wore headbands probably for the first six weeks.

@A sista who locked --- you are too funny!! LOL!

Genevieve said...

Time for a confession....... I beat you to trying this shampoo because of that....one lock that had something stuck in it? Operation get it out with a tweezer turned into operation get whatever else I might have in there - and a clarifying shampoo that I have heard others talk about. I liked it.

Gigglz said...

@genevieve-did you follow up with the SL shampoo or just VO5 alone?

Genevieve said...

I used the SL then the VO5. I wonder if it makes a diff which way I use them????

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails