Wednesday, July 15, 2009

On the Soap Box

I LOVE my sisterlocs and being natural and 100% me. No fake hair, nails, eyes (well contacts, I have to see -LOL!) or anything of the sort altering my natural beauty. When people ask me about my hair I definitely try to impress upon them how free I feel and liberating it is to know that I'm not harming my scalp with chemicals or a slave to the salon, and no longer a slave to my hair. I try to let them know that its been thus far the only way I have been able to retain healthy hair and length; I don't see it shedding and falling on my bathroom floor every morning or left in my comb. However, I wonder if the women I talk to feel that I feel that I am better because I have natural hair and its as if I'm talking down to them. I guess what I'm saying is, is that it is obvious if I never went natural and then got SL's I would have never felt the need to create a blog. My purpose for creating the blog is to share my experience with other SL'er's and sisters who are just thinking about it, or are natural, or even about going natural. Its evident when you read through you know I don't think I'm better but I do wonder if when I'm speaking if I have a tone of arrogance or even superiority??? I certainly don't think so...and I hope all woman take it as me trying to educate them on the other side of security in who we are and not to be afraid of others perceptions of your hair, because after all it is just hair....

5 comments:

Felicia said...

I just think that when you feel liberated, you want to share it with everyone. Let's face it, most of us black women who didn't grow up with the "white girl hair" always thought that something was wrong with our hair. Then, you find out that the kinks were in my mind, there was nothing wrong with my hair!! It's truly liberating!!!! In your blog, you get a chance to share your heart and speak your mind, FREEDOM!!!

Gigglz said...

Felicia - thanks for the co-signed backup of Freedom :-)!!!! Yes, we didn't grow up with that "white girl flow" and went out and purchased it for whatever reason acceptance, or attention from a "certain" guy - obviously the wrong one. It really is liberating!!!

Bajan Lily said...

I definitely don't find you arrogant - just evangelistic which is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

To add to Felicia's post - I don't find myself being questioned by sisters with relaxed hair (so no real opps to spread the word), my main critics are natural haired sisters who don't understand why I chose to lock my hair :(

I love reading your blog, keep writing - it's great :)

Gigglz said...

Bajan Lily - I only get sisters with relaxed hair asking questions. In my circle of friends, another friend had traditionals and took them out so I am on the only one. Since mine are SL's I get alot of questions about how to retighten and they love it but its just so permanent. So when I get the chance I'm rambling....lol!!!! I always have lots to say!

Gigglz said...

Oh and Bajan Lily - I would ask the natural sisters why they went natural. I mean what kind of question is that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails