Thursday, January 21, 2010

Retightening Tools...Try the Latch Hook

I've been swamped with work because its year end. Anyone in the financial industry understands that means the closing of the books, audits, financials, and tax work and I'm responsible for it all.  Needless to say the busy season has started and with a bang.  With all that going on my blogging has definitely suffered from the holiday season and now busy season so let me try and catch you up on some things.  Over the holidays I got curious, yeah I know whats new!!! Hehe!  I went to the local arts & crafts store and purchased the latch hook that so many DIY'ers talk about.  Before I give you my review on it recall that I purchased the NL tool about two weeks before taking the official sisterlock retightening class.  I then took the retightening class and received the official SL tool, at that point I fell in love with the official tool and ever since the class I've been only using it.  Now 4 months later I have purchased the latch hook.

See my pros/cons of the SL tool to the NL tool here.  Now that I have the latch hook here is my review:

HATED IT!!!!

I can't even do a review, seriously it is so cumbersome and doesn't exactly make retightening small locks easy.  Mind you I only tried one on my hairline and it was just really hard to manuever in comparision to the SL tool.  My clip wasn't flipping up and although it made my lock tighten closer to the root than the SL tool I actually see that as a con, because I could overtighten and weaken the root.  I will be leaving this tool in the drawer, hoping it will be easier to use down the line when my locks are longer.  I doubt it but I'm going to remain optimistic.

Disclaimer:  This is my opinion on the latch hook and I know many DIY'er swear by this.  I don't knock there opinion but for me this is a no go.

5 comments:

PhePhi said...

u r hilarious. i HATED IT too. for years this discouraged me from installing my own locs/braidlocz becz i couldn't fathom other ways of retightening. when i caught wind of finger-latching & the NL tool i was overjoyed. i tried numerous times 2 try and like the latch hook tool but was unsuccessful. we won't know unless we try, right?

msfullroller said...

I can imagine you saying a few choice words that were too "juicy" to put in the blog! Yeah the latch hook scared me too so I never tried it.

Bajan Lily said...

I laughed so hard at this post - not because of what you said but the way you said it. Or maybe I just have a warped sense of humour these days...

All the best with year end duties :)

ps no offence to the latch hookers. To each his own :)

Gigglz said...

@Phe Phi - Have to try at least once thats my motto!!

@Msfullroller - I surely did have some choice words even when I was purchasing it.

@Bajan Lily - LOL..I laugh at myself too.

Afrolady said...

HA HA HA!!! You are too funny. I have watched several videos on how to use it, etc. But, I have never gotten up enough nerve to actually try it. I made my own tool and it works well for my braidlocs.

Peace!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails