Friday, February 3, 2012

Loc Build Up Removal

UPDATE:

So days later after my hair has dried I noticed that the lint has not exactly been removed.  What has happened is that the lint traveled from the actual beginning of my lock (closest to the root) and traveled down to about the middle towards the tip of the lock.  Another round of this "solution" should hopefully loosen the lint enough for it to travel to the end and actually off my locks.  I will keep you posted.


Lately, I've been noticing more and more build up around the nape and front edges of my locks, can we say NOT THE BUSINESS!!!  I have not been diligent in really trying to pick it out with tweezers because I find it ineffective.  I just figure when I wash it will eventually come out.  So after basically being quarantined for the last 72 hours I've had some time on my hand. 

I know YouTube has been out there for quite some time, but I have just really gotten into watching videos, tutorials and actually trying the things I see.  Well........let me say I just tried the BOMB loc build up removal. It was cheap, fast, and easy which is right up my alley.  Anywho the ingredients are:

  • Baking Soda (3/4 cup)
  • ACV (1/4 cup)
  • Lemon Juice (2 tsp)
  • Sea Salt (1 tbsp)
  • Tap Water - enough to fill your bathroom sink
 I wasn't really diligent with the measurements but that's the idea :-).  To start off I cleaned out my sink not with bleach or anything just a good wipe down.  I started the tap water and poured all the other ingredients into the sink and filled my sink about 1/2 way with lukewarm water. 

To begin I started with dry hair and I used an additional 1/4 cup of dry baking soda and sprinkled that on the trouble areas first - the back of my neck, the right side, the left side, and the remainder just on the ends.  After doing so I just dunked my locks into my sink and swished around a bit back and forth.  I found the water a bit cold so I added some warmer water.  I continued to swish around making sure my roots were actually in there I went so far to spin around in the sink so that I was staring at my ceiling.  I was more concerned with back of course so I used a cup to pour the solution onto the back.  When I was facing my sink I just used my hand.  Now I was in this "solution" for probably less than 5 minutes.  If you think about it its all drying products so I didn't want to overdue it.

Here is the color of my sink afterwards - with a disclaimer, I don't really use alot of oils in my hair or products!

The sink afterwards

After I partially dried my hair a bit really just to see if the particles had left. You can totally skip this.  I then jumped in the shower and shampooed with Herbal Essences clarifying shampoo to get anything I may have missed.  **SIDEBAR as I went looking for the link that shampoo is way too old for me to still be using that will be going in the GARBAGE!

I came out and immediately checked the back and seriously the lint is gone - I should have taken a before picture but you all know that lint starts build up and looks terrible!

The back - with a T-shirt on my head to dry :-)

Better view of the back


Side


My hair doesn't feel dry it feels as normal as it did before. But after closer inspection I see a few particles in the front and sides, I just finished a retightening where I may have gone too tight so I'm going to check back in a few days and see if its just from that. Either way this removal tactic will be used in the future when I have any build up.  I do already take a few precautions to avoid build up such as drying with an old t-shirt and not a towel I hope to avoid it all together.  If I can't I will be revisiting this! Try it you will love it!!






5 comments:

TruMiracle said...

Thanks for this post. My teenage daughter has some serious build-up and lint in her SL's. I will try your concoction this weekend.

BlackRose83 said...

Thanks for this post! I can't wait until I can try this. I have a bit of build-up, but my locks are still babies. As a matter of fact, today is my 5 month lockiversary :)

I must say that I've read much of your blog and I appreciate that you are so consistant.

Gigglz said...

@BlackRose83 and TruMiracle - after a few days unfortunately I still see some buildup -- WOMP WOMP but it has traveled down the lock a bit so it loosened up and moved down. Another round of this should help loosen it some more to move down to the end of the lock and then OUT! At least thats what I'm hoping. Let me know how it works out for you both!

Mama Fudge said...

Soooo...what's the verdict? I'm counting down the days until my installation at the end of the month. Can't wait!

Gigglz said...

Well the verdict is that although it does SEEM to work, the dirt and debris is still in there!!! So I'm not going to bother drying my locks out with these harsh chemicals. I'm going to be more diligent with watching the back of my locks after wearing fabrics I know shed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails