Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mayo n Egg Conditioner - UPDATED



After my horrific experience with the ACV rinse that I thought would give my locks a new sheen and it didn't, I thought I should go out and purchase the cellophane color that is clear but adds shine. Well, since it was Mother's Day and I really didn't feel like leaving the house to go anywhere I opted against it. I happened to be doing my daily stalking of blogs and ran across Kalia Dewdrop's mayo and egg conditioner. I youtube'd it some more and decided it was a good idea. I looked in my fridge and darn it, I only have light mayo, not exactly what I'm looking for. I called my cousin who luckily lives close and she brought me some mayo. I mixed up the mayo (which I didn't measure, I just went off the eye) and threw in two eggs. I mixed it up and then put it back in the fridge because I was still retigtening my hair. When I mixed it up, it was quite liquidy, so it was evident I didn't use enough mayo so the mixture was runny.

I started applying the mixture with my fingertips on the sides in the roots and worked my way to the middle; then I went to the back and applied only at the roots and worked up to the middle, then I did the other side. By the time I was done with that I had the mixture all over my sink. I then just took a scoopful and put it on my roots and kept doing so until the bowl was almost empty. When all my locks were saturated I bent my head over, took the bowl contents and poured the remainining on my head. I put on a plastic cap and started the time. I figured since it was the first time I didn't want to go for 90 minutes, I would do an hour and see the results. As I sat around it started leaking down my neck and that confirmed that I didn't use enough mayo. After an hour I was ready to go; now I specifically recall that I shouldn't use hot or warm water to wash it out. So I set the water to cool and washed it out until the water ran clear. I put some Organix conditioner in to mask the smell, but where I messed up is I turned the water temperature to a little warmer and I washed the conditioner out.

Pros (immediate difference)
*locks felt a bit heavier
*locks felt solid
*softer

Cons
*washing with cool water
*if not, white chunks,

As for the con, I immediately put my head back under cold running water, but to no avail I had to pick it out. It wasn't too much but I know next time. In any event, I'm defintely going to do this every 2 months because its natural and I see immediate effects. I'm hoping over the long run I will see the difference in my root to tips.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Gigglz, I think that I might give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

A Sista Who Locked said...

I was going to do this after I did my color, but I used a ready mixed protein treatment instead. I def want to try it and I will make sure I use cold water as well. So your locks feel thicker? Does it take care of the limp issue?

Gigglz said...

@ Denise -let me know how it turns out.

@ASWL - yes, even days later they feel thick. I normally only experience the limp issue if I don't have any curls or anything. I put some lock loops in Sunday night, of course sweat out my curls Monday. Today, Wed normally my locks would just lay and they aren't, so I do attribute that to the conditioner. Hey its worth a try.

z said...

This is great! Another loc'd head that is trying the egg/mayo treatment. I'm so glad to see your post because then we can give each other feedback on how well the process is working for us. Since i've started i've been doing my roots only, and ironically it reminds of the good old days when we applied a perm minus the burning sensation. LOL!

Don't worry about it leaking down your neck, because I used more mayo than egg my second time around, and it still leaked down my face. What I don't understand is how the treatment made your locks thicker? Mine didn't thicken up at all, but they definitely felt cleaner and softer with more sheen! :-) Maybe since it's a natural conditioner, it has a tendency to expand your locks, but everyone's hair is different.

Gigglz said...

Initially my locks felt thicker but after a few days it went back to normal. The one thing that did last was the natural shine. And for that reason alone I will try it again and be more prepared for the leaking.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails